Capstone
GPS Leadership Outcomes
Reflection
Name: Rose Belizor
3/11/11-3/25/11-4/1/11
Scores of the week: 10, 10, 10
Project: Walk for Cancer/Breast Cancer Awareness
What is the goal of the project? How has it changed over the course of Capstone?
The goal of the project is to provide International High School students with information to acquire them to be more aware of Breast Cancer and to also, inform students to do monthly check ups with their doctors and take care of their health. I also want students to know why early detection of Breast Cancer or any other types of diseases is so important.
3/25/11- This week, our goal is to finish organizing the Lady in Pink dinner and present to the school about our project and raising awareness.
Your Capstone Project is a tool for you to demonstrate your college readiness and global competency. Use the GPS Global Leadership Performance Outcomes to evaluate your college readiness and global competency.
Investigate the World: Produce New Global Knowledge. Students investigate the world, including their immediate environment.
How have you incorporated this element of the GPS into your Capstone project?
I recognized that Breast Cancer effects nearly 20 million of people are the world. In 2010 nearly, 207,090 women was diagnosed with breast cancer and 1, 970 men was also diagnosed with breast cancer this is an overwhelming fact. I decided to take action after identify that I classmate I knew had Breast Cancer. I realized that this can happen to any one st any time in their lives. As a young student leaving in a global connected world. This is an absolute issue for everyone.
3/25/11 my partner and I incorporated the GPS element this week in our project by interviewing a doctor and working on the Video to present to the school about our project.
Where are your strengths in this area? Why are they strengths? Where is this demonstrated in your Capstone?
I have surprised myself as to how dedicated I am in completing this project. I began the project with a few passion in fighting Breast Cancer but now as my journey comes to an end in a few weeks I have become even more passionate about my project. My strength throughout this project enables me to communicate my Ideas and take action. I set my goals each week and I always meet them 100 percent of the time. I have researched multiple sources such as researchable questions to ask a doctor or finding an organization to fundraise for and follow through on a daily basic.
3/25/11- My strength is presenting to the school.
Where are your weaknesses in this area? Why do you consider these to be weaknesses? How do you plan on correcting these weaknesses?
Luckily, I have not encountered any difficult challenge that I haven’t met throughout my project.
3/25/11-Luckily, I have not encountered any difficulty this week.
Recognize and Weigh Perspectives: Apply Cross-Cultural Understanding. Students recognize their own and others’ perspectives.
How have you incorporated this element of the GPS into your Capstone project?
From the very beginning of this project I have consider the GPS into my project. I began this project because I learned that one of my past classmates had breast cancer, when I heard that she had Breast Cancer I was stunned. Throughout my project, I have reached out to the community and my school. I have communicated ideas and connect to a diverse students and community. Not only that, but I have also took action by fundraising for a non profit organization called the Rose. I have realized that Breast Cancer not only affect men and women in the United States but also all over the world. It’s a global issue and curing this disease is quiet difficult if someone doesn’t detects it early.
3/25/11- During my presentation, I realized how everyone was captivated by the story we present about Alyssa. And I also learn that Breast Cancer mostly affect Hispanic women.
Where are your strengths in this area? Why are they strengths? Where is this demonstrated in your Capstone?
I have recognized the perspectives of other students. For my capstone project I have interview a student or someone who is currently battling breast cancer. Not only that but, during my spring break time I will be visiting a Hospital to talk and interview a doctor to get answers to a few questions that I have about Breast Cancer. I’m learning and communicating throughout my project.
Where are your weaknesses in this area? Why do you consider these to be weaknesses? How do you plan on correcting these weaknesses?
My only weakness is not being able to present my project yet to the school but soon I will be able to.
Communicate Ideas: Connect & Collaborate Across Boundaries. Students communicate and collaborate effectively with diverse audiences.
How have you incorporated this element of the GPS into your Capstone project?
I have incorporated this in my project by reaching out to the community and students. I reach out to my school; I decided to take action by having a dinner to fundraise for an organization that’s help women on a daily basic regardless of their ability to pay. I have get in touch with my capstone sponsor and communicate my ideas and incorporate their ideas in opinion in my project.
Where are your strengths in this area? Why are they strengths? Where is this demonstrated in your Capstone?
I have always followed through with my ideas and meet with my sponsors on a daily basis. Not only that but I have reach to my parents, friends, classmates and teachers to support my project. I have also reached to organizations for donations and community for help. I have organized my project to the best of my ability.
Where are your weaknesses in this area? Why do you consider these to be weaknesses? How do you plan on correcting these weaknesses?
I have no weakness in that specific area.
Take Action: Enact Global Solutions. Students translate their ideas and findings into appropriate actions to improve conditions.
How have you incorporated this element of the GPS into your Capstone project?
I have said before that my main goal for this project is to allow international student to understand Breast Cancer and why early detection is so important. In order to help this issue my partner and I decided to host a dinner as well as present to the International High school about our project in why we decided to focus on breast cancer. We have also joined another group who plans to do a walkathon. I informed the school through flyers and invites from facebook about the Lady in Pink Dinner. After the dinner my partner and I decided that we should have a pink day to support breast cancer.
Where are your strengths in this area? Why are they strengths? Where is this demonstrated in your Capstone?
So far what I’ve done is beyond words. My strength includes staying focus and following thought-out with the goals that I have set for myself from the beginning of my project. The respond that I have gotten during this progress is unbelievable.
Where are your weaknesses in this area? Why do you consider these to be weaknesses? How do you plan on correcting these weaknesses?
I have no weakness in this area. I’ve done the best that I can do at this moment to inform the school and the community.
4/1/11- The lady in Pink dinner last Friday was a successful dinner. We raised over 1,000 dollars and my partner and I will be donating the money to the Rose next week. I’m very thankful for the people who donated to our project. Overall, this project impact me and I was surprised in the end at how may people show-up to support the Lady in Pink Dinner last Friday. Although, this dinner was successful and we’re almost done but my partner and I need to summarize the project overall success.
No comments:
Post a Comment